Here's a list of excellent online programming guides that i am compiling. I will add more links as time permits.
- How to be a Programmer: A Short, Comprehensive, and Personal Summary, Robert L Read: Not short, but excellent distillation of one man's programming wisdom.
- The Art of Unix Programming, Eric Raymond: More than just a programming guide, an exposition of the philosophy of design, the Unix way.
- Worse is Better, Richard Gabriel: Still provocative and topical.
- Being A Better Programmer, Danny Burbol: Advice written from a game programmers perspective.
- Little Nybbles of Development Wisdom, Terence Parr: What one man learnt over the course of his 3 year odyssey – a bit too preachy for me, but still interesting.
- How To Write Unmaintainable Code, Roedy Green.