In a few sentences I walked her through the core of GTD:
– Collect and download everything that’s got your attention, especially the stuff you’re holding on your mind.
– Decide the very very next action you need to take on any of those.
– Organize it into a few key buckets:
a list of your outcomes (Projects)
a list for the things you need to do (Next Actions)
a list of things other people owe you (Waiting For)
a list of the things you might like to get to (Someday/Maybe)
– Look at it all on some kind of regular basis to make sure it’s still current (Review)
– So that you can always trust you are making the best choices (Do)
from Kelly Forrister’s Simply GTD blog