What the Attack on Abu Ghraib Means. As I mentioned earlier,
the attack on Abu Ghraib is proof that al Qaeda is now officially in
Iraq. The execution followed a classic al Qaeda pattern. Here are some
things that the press missed in the little coverage they provided:
- The level of sophistication. Swarming and feints.
- Large number of attackers (50).
- Low casualties for attackers killed (~1 maybe).
- No prior intelligence on a large, well planned attack of this size.
- Weapons mix: RPGs, VBIEDs, and small arms.
This is problematic. This attack demonstrates that Al Qaeda can now
mount an attack of the size and sophistication necessary to over-run a large number of US troops. An over-run could produce significant US casualties and captives. [John Robb's Weblog]