Today I learned a neat little shell trick thanks to my buddy Gareth.
Have you ever been browsing in Explorer and want to drop down to a CMD window at that point? Not easy. You can open a cmd window, drag the path in Explorer to the cmd window as a drop target and then go from there. But he showed me a neat hack to the registry to make it a right click menu option!
Steps to add this:
- Start regedit
- Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
- Add a new key called 'cmd' (without the quotes)
- Edit the (Default) string and name it whatever you want the menuitem to say. I put 'Open CMD here'
- Add a subkey called 'command' (without the quotes)
- Edit the (Default) string and add the following: cmd.exe /k “cd %L”
Now if you right click on a folder, you will have an 'Open CMD here' option which opens the cmd prompt right at that location!
Easy hack… really nice result. [Dana Epp's ramblings at the Sanctuary]