In their new book “Deep Smarts”, Dorothy
Leonard and Walter Swap explore the cognitive and competency practices
that enable swift decisions, explain master level experience and
examine ways to transfer these exceptional skills.
* Deep smarts take time to mature – 10 years
* Transfer is best facilitated by self-selected mentoring, practice and coaching
* Intuition is based on efficient pattern-recognition
* Know-who is an important type of deep smart
* Guided practice, experience, coaching and experimentation are proven ways to gain deeper smarts
I liked their focus and grasp of tacit knowledge, appreciated their insights around the role of intuition, pattern recognition and belief systems and respect their attention to guided transfer.